At Ascension Providence, we are proud to serve veterans, and we are thankful for their service to our nation. Since the Veterans Choice Program rolled out in 2016, Ascension Providence Healthcare Network and Ascension continue to look for ways to honor veterans, and that’s why Ascension Providence will soon introduce the “Honor the Red, White, & Blue” Veterans Recognition Program.
Through the Honor the Red, White & Blue Veterans Recognition Program, Ascension Providence will pay tribute to patients who are Veterans by:
• Placing a magnetic flag outside of your room,
• Applying an American flag decal to your medical chart,
• Administering a special wristband for Veterans.
The Honor the Red, White, & Blue Veteran’s Program at Providence is completely voluntary and free of charge to Veterans. It is part of Providence’s mission and a way to say, “Thank you for your Service to our Great Nation!”
Details about the Honor the Red, White & Blue Program:
- An information sheet will be given to a veteran in their Admission/Discharge packet describing our commitment to honoring veterans and outlining the Honor the Red, White & Blue program.
- A magnetic American flag will be attached to the door frame outside the Veteran’s hospital room denoting their veteran status.
- A flag sticker will be placed on each Veteran’s medical chart.
- A Red, White & Blue flag-motif wrist band will be placed on the Veteran.
- All associates will be encouraged to acknowledge the Veteran’s service when they interact with them while in our hospital showing thanks for their service.
The Final Salute
- If a Veteran patient should pass while in our care, a special tribute will be initiated – The Final Salute.
- The Final Salute will start with associates who are Veterans serving as a voluntary “Honor Guard” and may participate in draping the Veteran’s body with the Stars & Stripes cover.
- The “Honor Walk” will then commence. Taps will be played over the hospital intercom as the “Honor Guard” escorts the body to the awaiting hearse in the front of the hospital. All associates and visitors in the vicinity will be asked to momentarily stand reverently as the stretcher passes by, and those who are available will be encouraged to assemble in the front lobby forming two lines between which the body will pass.
Veterans Memorial Garden
In keeping with our values, Ascension Providence will dedicate a special garden area on the hospital grounds, to pay homage to the great sacrifices our Veterans have made and continue to make for our country.
- In 2019, a beautiful Veterans Memorial Garden will be dedicated at Ascension Providence.
- The Memorial Garden will include two custom granite benches placed in the shade.
- Red, white and blue flowers will be planted around the area.
- Four Veteran Only parking spaces will be assigned adjacent to the Memorial Garden and the curbs will be painted red, white & blue.
- Passing in front of the Memorial will be a “Walkway of Honor” with the emblems of the six branches of the military and the Presidential Seal etched and painted in the sidewalk.
- Veterans may park in the special “Veterans Only” spaces, take the Walkway of Honor by the Memorial Garden and enter the hospital.
Click here to make a financial donation to support this program, or call 254.751.4762 to learn more.